Tracy Cairns our Operations Manager talks about women in construction and her experience
- What was your first ever job?
Office Junior in a solicitors, Donald Binnie & Co.
- Have you always wanted to work in construction?
I’ve been in construction most of my life, so yes I think I have.
- Who inspires you and why?
My Managing Director Jim Gorman, the way he challenges every day and the patience and time he has for each and every one of our Clients, his depots and all his staff. He is one of the best out there and I hope to be like him one day.
- What has been your career high point?
Becoming Operations Manager after running the depot for 10 years and being rewarded for it, the first Lady Operation Manager in TRAD, Go ME!!!
- What advice would you give a young woman who's considering a career within this industry?
Construction is definitely not only for men, it’s now common knowledge that there are many suitable roles for woman in this industry.
- Do you find it difficult to work in a sector which is predominately male?
- Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?
If I survive probably still managing TRAD, achieving my targets and enjoying my grandchildren.
- From your experience, how do you think the industry can recruit more women into this sector of work?
By letting other woman know what is possible to achieve with articles like this and encouraging equality from the top downwards as TRAD Group CEO Des Moore is doing.
- What is your favourite thing about your job?
It’s a challenge, every day is different, and working with great colleagues and the relationship I have with all my clients.
- What would you say to people who think construction work is only for men?
Not at all, it’s now mixed. They used to say office work was mostly woman, not now it is split down the middle, what’s good for one is good for another.
Follow her on twitter @tracycairns5